Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Signing with Madelyn

Since before Madelyn was born I knew that I wanted to sign with her and I bought a Baby Sign book and Nick and I went through it and picked out ones that we thought we're important (ie Milk, More, Sleep/Tired etc).

Once Madelyn came, I wasn't sure if it was something that I would actually be able to do so I started looking into classes and it was pricey here in Kitchener/Waterloo area but I figured for the money it was something we would be able to do together and would get me out of the house.

I was on Facebook (I know, surprise, surprise! LOL) and I noticed a friend of mine had "Liked" a ad in the marketplace (kind of like the kijiji of Facebook). I clicked the link and there it was -- Kindersign -- a lady doing it out of her home in Brantford and completely affordable! Then the e-mails back and forth started. We were trying to find a time that would work for both of and since I would be driving half an hour to get there I needed a time that would work for Madelyn as well. We finally figured it out and we've been going for 4 weeks on Saturday mornings and its been amazing!

I have learned so much from these 45 minute (They actually are longer than that) sessions once a week. We learn 40 signs a week, which is a lot but you'd be surprised at how many you actually remember.

Now the trick is to be consistent about the whole thing. Everytime I give her milk, I am signing it and for the most part so is Nick (other than the dream feed of course). I constantly use "More" and "Again". I've even learned the "ABC Song", "Twinkle Twinkle", "Bear went over the Mountain", "1,2 Buckle my shoe" and "Monkeys Jumping on the bed" (FYI I don't know if those are actually the names of the songs) When I start to sing and sign she is instantly engaged in me. I am by no means a good singer but she enjoys it and so do I.

I have no expectations of it really from her right now either. I know she isn't going to sign for a couple more months but I figured I would give her the head start. I swear she knows what Milk means without seeing her bottle. Only time will tell how much she actually picks up and uses. Fingers are crossed she uses the signs we want her to use but she might just use the signs that she thinks are important.

www.kindersign.org is her website! I HIGHLY recommend using Corrie to help you and your baby learn! She is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment